1. The officials soon realized that, __________, things would get worse.
A. unless dealt with it properly B. if not properly dealing with it
C. unless properly dealt with D. if dealt not properly with
2. what if we meet with a situation ___________ none of us are able to deal with?
A. where B. in which C. what D. that
3. The process of curing a disease is like a war _________ different soldiers fight against an enemy.
A. where B. when C. as D. while
4. I hold the view ___________ she stated was true.
A. that B. what C. that what D. which
5. -Where have you been all day?
–We _________ some lovely children and we couldn't get away from them until it was dark.
A. met B. meet C. have met D. have been meeting
6. ___________ what to do, I decided to ask the teacher for advice.
A. knowing not B. Having not known
C. Not knowing D. Not having known
7. You can hardly imagine the great trouble I took ____________ your house.
A. to find B. finding C. found D. having found
8. Now I'll present the facts __________.
A. on which to be based my opinion B. which to base my opinion on
C. upon which to base my opinion D. which to base my opinion upon
9. -It cost me 30 yuan to get here.
–Well, it was crazy of you to take a taxi __________you would come by bus as well.
A. unless B. if C. when D. because
10. ___________ is no wonder that he passed the maths exam.
A. It B. There C. As D. Which
11. At last, we found ourselves in a pleasant park with trees providing shade and __________ down to eat our picnic lunch.
A. sitting B. having sat C. to sit D. sat
12. Yesterday evening when going to the cinema I frequented, I went in a wrong direction ________.
A. somehow B. anyhow C. somewhat D. someway
13. Fiat _________ a tiny "city car" especially for Europe's narrow, crowded streets.
A. explained B. tried C. settled D. launched
14. Nowadays in most hospitals, information records, for examples, of patients with the same illness, are ___________ in the computer.
A. made B. sent C. set D. kept
15. -Will you __________ our pet dog while we're on vacation? –Well, that ought to be no problem.
A. keep an eye of B. keep an eye on
C. have an eye for D. have an eye on
16. Bob used to be a lazy boy, but he is __________ doing his homework very seriously tonight.
A. setting out B. preparing for C. going about D. putting on
17. -You _________ here all the way through the thick snow last night. There was nothing important.
–Yes, but I didn't know.
A. didn't need to come B. don't need to come
C. needn't have come D. needn't come
18. It's important that enough money _________ for the project.
A. be collected B. must be collected C. was collected D. can be collected
19. -Could I make a few remarks on the discussion?
–Yes, of course you _________.
A. should B. must C. can D. could
20. -Are you a teacher?
–No, but I ________.
A. used to B. was used to C. used to be D. used to do
21. They keys were __________ to our neighbours during our absence.
A. given out B. given away C. given over D. given up
22. Was it near the white building, if I may ask, __________ Martin Luther King gave a speech "I have a dream"?
A. where B. that C. why D. in which
23. -Did you come back early yesterday?
–No, it was midnight ___________ I arrived home.
A. before B. after C. that D. when
24. I would appreciate __________ if you come to my grandma's birthday party and say "Hello" to her.
A. that B. it C. you D. her
25. Mr Brown has a strange way of writing. Here is a notice from him, but no clear ___________ of what he has written can be made at all.
A. explanation B. sense C. meaning D. idea
26. Since I don't like many vegetables, can I eat fruits every day instead __________ the nutrients I need?
A. to get B. of getting C. of to get D. of get
27. The skier's red clothes stood out clearly ___________ the snow.
A. in B. over C. above D. against
28. Having now ___________ 40, he feels that his footballing career is coming to an end.
A. gone B. turned C. become D. entered
29. Fully __________ in looking after three children at home, she no longer has time to enjoy various activities in the club.
A. attached B. occupied C. contributed D. devoted
30. -Would you like to go to Paris with us next year?
–I'd like to, but my mother ____________ that I'm too young.
A. is against B. opposes C. objects D. explains
31. -Jack, you play chess with Kate.
–What! ___________ to play with her at chess? No.
A. I B. Me C. Mine D. My
32. Mr White, who comes from ___________ European country, has formed _________ habit of attending ______________ church on Sundays.