1. It is much easier to talk about social change than to ________.
A) bring it on B) bring it about C) burning it up D) bring it out
2. Jane was hit on the head by the robber and was knocked ________.
A) mindless B) unaware C) brainless D) unconscious
3. The car is quite ________ of petrol. A) economic B) economical C) saving D) sparing
4. ________ his great wealth, he always remained a man of simple tastes.
A) Except for B) With regard to C) Despite D) Although
5. The socks were too small and it was only by ________ them that he managed to get them on.
A) spreading B) extending C) lengthening D) stretching
6. Language can be defined as a tool by which human beings ________ with one another.
A) associate B) connect C) communicate D) correspond
7. As a small boy, he was slow ________ learning to read and write.
A) on B) with C) in D) about
8. Tony was ________ a mile of the hotel when he ran out of petrol.
A) within B) inside C) about D) off
9. It has been rather costly to install the machinery, but it will prove to be worth the money ________.
A) in the long run B) in conclusion C) at long last D) at the end
10. I don’t know why he ________ in the middle of a sentence.
A) broke off B) broke out C) broke through D) broke away
11. We had a party last month, and it was a lot of fun, so let’s have ________ one this month.
A) another B) more C) the other D) other
12. It was difficult to guess what her ________ to the news would be.
A) impression B) reaction C) comment D) opinion
13. There were some ________ flowers on the table.
A) artificial B) unnatural C) false D) unreal
14. We are interested in the weather because it _ us so directly-what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A) benefits B) affects C) guides D) effects
15. Will all those ________ the proposal raise their hands?
A) in relation to B) in contrast to C) in excess of D) in favor of
16. Children are very curious ________.
A) at heart B) in person C) on purpose D) by nature
17. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into ________ when judging my examination.
A) regard B) counting C) account D) observation
18. Important people don’t often have much free time as their work ________ all their time.
A) takes away B) takes over C) takes up D) takes in
19. When I was very young, I was terribly frightened of school, but I soon ________ it.
A) got off B) got across C) got away D) got over
20. Many people complain of the rapid ________ of modern life.
A) rate B) speed C) pace D) growth
21. American women were ________ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A) ignored B) neglected C) refused D) denied
22. I always ________ what I have said.
A) get to B) hold to C) lead to D) see to
23. He was ________ of having asked such a silly question.
A) sorry B) guilty C) ashamed D) miserable
24. The last time we had a family reunion was ________ my brother’s wedding ceremony four years ago.
A) in B) at C) during D) over
25. ________ the advances of science, the discomforts of old age will no doubt always be with us.
A) As for B) Besides C) Except D) Despite
26. I can’t understand how you ________ these unpleasant surroundings.
A) put out B) put down C) put up with D) put forward
27. I am ________ of your stupid conversation.
A) annoyed B) worried C) angry D) tired
28. They are building the dam in ________ with another firm.
A) comparison B) association C) touch D) tune
29. He is ________ a writer as a reporter.
A) more B) rather C) not so much D) not much
30. To be sure, some insects can build complex societies ________ different types of individuals performing different tasks.
A) taken from B) made of C) composed of D) developed from
31. If you do not fasten your safety belt, your chances of being ________ will be greater.
A) beaten B) hurt C) damaged D) stricken
32. This bird’s large wings ________ it to fly very fast.
A) able B) enable C) unsure D) cause
<span style="margin: 0px; padding: